Building & Zoning

Building Department
The seat to Pend Oreille County Administrative Offices

As of July 2018, the City of Newport contracts with J.A. Sewell & Associates, LLC for building permit applications & services. 

Building Inspector: Pat Park, CBO ICC certified Building Official, ICC Certified Fire Marshal

For inspections please call 208-263-4160 to schedule; call at least 24 hours before you would like your inspection.

The City of Newport adopted and uses the 2021 International Building Code per Ordinance #2119.

For current Building codes including zoning and setbacks please click on NMC Title 15 below.   For more information on Development Regulations please click on NMC Title 17 below.

Please submit completed building applications to

Building Permit Applications:

A commercial and industrial building permit is required when a structure zoned commercial (C1, C2) or industrial (LI) is constructed, enlarged, or remodeled (including re-roofing).   A copy of the deed or lease agreement showing the owners’ name and legal description of the property,  a completed plot plan, and construction plans are required.  Detailed instructions are included in the permit application.

Deeds are available from the Pend Oreille County Auditor.

Commercial and Industrial Building Permit

Demolition permits are required for moving, relocating or demolishing a structure or building over 200sqft.  Attach a copy of the deed showing the current owner of the residence and the legal description of the property. A site plan showing the existing structures including water and sewer lines is required. Asbestos mitigation is required per Washington State Building Code.  

– Demolition Permit

A mechanical permit is required when installing, altering, relocating or replacing a  mechanical systems such as heating, duct work or cooling or fuel gas piping in existing buildings.  Click on the permit below and send it to  A separate permit is not necessary for new construction.  

– Mechanical Permit Application

Installing, replacing or repairing anything pertaining to the water system by a homeowner or contractor requires a plumbing permit.  This is not necessary for NEW commercial or residential building construction as it is included in that application.

You do not need a permit to replace a sink, toilet, or showerhead.

Plumbing Permit Application

A residential building permit is required any time a structure over 200 square feet and zoned residential (LDR, MDR, MFR) is constructed, enlarged, or remodeled (including re-roofing).  A copy of the deed or lease agreement showing the owners’ name and legal description of the property,  a completed plot plan, and construction plans are required.  Detailed instructions are included in the permit application.

Deeds are available from the Pend Oreille County Auditor.

Residential Building Permit Application


Sign permits will have to be submitted with a copy of the deed or a lease agreement showing your name and the legal description of the property with your application. All signs must be in compliance with the zoning and subdivision zoning in Chapter 17.03. Plans for the sign must be included and the plans must include elevations of all sides of the structure, footing and foundation details, framing details, dimensions, image of the sign, and free-standing and pole signs must be stamped by a Washington Licensed Architecture Engineer. 

Sign Permit Application

Utility Connections

The City of Newport provides water and sewer services to residents within City limits.  New water and sewer connections  have connection fees payable during permitting  (see the most recent fee schedule) and the property owner must purchase a water meter from the City of Newport.  When the water meter is installed the  property owner must complete a utility account application.  More information is available on the Water and Sewer Utility page.

– New Water & Sewer Permit

Not sure if your project needs a permit?

Things that need a permit: 

  • Installing a new HVAC system (See Mechanical)
  • Installing a sprinkler system (See Plumbing)
  • A remodel that changes plumbing, electrical, or any load barring walls
  • Changes in the roof plan; including any types of add on’s
  • Installing a deck over 32″ in height
  • Building a new building of any sort over 200 sqft
  • Demolition of a building
  • Installing a solar system
  • Fences – installing, replacing or altering

Things that do not need a permit: 

  • Changing out windows or doors of the same size
  • Changes in the interior that do not affect load-bearing walls
  • Groundwork like small landscaping projects or a driveway
  • A small building under 200 square feet. 

Land Use Development

If you are making changes to to land use such as a lot line adjustment, Short Plat, Variances, planned development, vacations you will need to complete a Master Land Use Development Permit.

Temporary Business Use Permit

This is now on the Master Land Use Application.  Used for a limited duration as determined by the City, including, but not limited to, mobile food carts, fireworks stands, Christmas tree lots, sidewalk sales, traveling carnivals or circuses, and seasonal or temporary outdoor retail sales.  

Newport Fee Schedule

To view all the City of Newport fees, please review the Fee Schedule – Resolution 20240506.

Building permit fees are determined by the project value and type including labor, material costs, plan review, and other associated fees.

Resolution 20240417 Adopting A Construction Permit Fee Schedule based on square foot construction costs


Applying for a new address? You can call City Hall at 509-447-5611 or submit your request through the County follow the link below and select submit address request online on the left hand side of the page.  

Request a New Address